Critical Skills Work Visa
This is a permit issued to applicants in possession of exceptional skills or qualifications that are scarce in South Africa.
A critical skills work visa shall be issued for a period not exceeding five years. Where there is no offer of employment, a critical skills visa shall be issued for a periof not exceeding one year.
A spouse and dependent children of a holder of a critical skills work visa shall be issued with an appropriate visa valid for a period not exceeding the period of validity of the applicant's critical skills work visa.
Checklist of Documents to be Submitted:
- Machine readable valid passport with at least two (2) unused (blank) pages labeled Visa when presented at the Embassy or Consulate; one page for affixing the visa or permit by the embassy/consulate and the other page for endorsement of entry/departure stamp by the South African Immigration Services. Passport must be valid for 30 more days after the intended return date from South Africa
- Fees payable to the appropriate South African representative office
- A duly completed application form DHA-1738 signed by applicant.
- Medical report on prescribed form (physical). The certificate must not be older than six (6) months at the time the applicant submits an application.
- Radiological report on prescribed form (chest X-ray) or skin TB test. Radiological report is not required in respect of children under the age of 12 years or a pregnant woman. The certificate must not be older than six (6) months at the time the applicant submits an application.
- Proof of financial means in the form of recent three (3) months bank statement stamped by the bank
- Marriage certificate or in the case of a foreign spousal relationship, proof of official recognition thereof issued by the authorities of the foreign country of the applicant (where applicable)
- The affidavit where a spousal relationship to a South African citizen or permanent resident is applicable, as well as documentation proving cohabitation and the extent to which the related financial responsibilities are shared by the parties and setting out the particulars of children in the spousal relationship
- Proof of a union recognized in terms of the Recognition of Customary Marriages Act, 1998 (Act No. 120 of 1998), where applicable
- Divorce decree, where applicable
- Proof of court order awarding custody, where applicable
- Death certificate, in respect of late spouse, where applicable
- Written consent from both parents and/or sole custody parent, where applicable, with proof of sole custody
- Proof of legal adoption, where applicable
- Legal separation order, where applicable
- Original police clearance certificate issued by the police or security authority in each countrywhere the relevant applicant resided for 12 months or longer after attaining the age of 18 years, in respect of criminal records or the character of appicant. The certificate shall not be older than six months at the time of its submission
- A yellow fever vaccination certificate if that person traveled or intends traveling from or transiting through a yellow fever endemic area. Provided that the certficate shall not be required where that person traveled or intends traveling tin direct transit through such areas
- A written undertaking by the employer accepting responsibility for the costs related to the deportation of the applicant and his or her dependent family members, should it become necessary. Where there is no employer, proof of sufficient financial means to the value of a minimum of R3,000 in the form of three months bank statements, stamped by the bank.
- A written undertaking by the employer to ensure that the passport of his or her employee is valid at all times for the duration of his or her employment. Where there is no employer, a written undertaking by the applicant to ensure that the passport of the applicant shall be valid at all times for the duration of his or her temporary visa.
- Proof that the applicant falls within the critical skills category by specifically indicating the occupation/critical skill for which the application is being made. The occupation /critical skill must be on the Critical Skills list.
- Proof of evaluation of foreign qualifications by the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA) and translated by a sworn translator into one of the official languages of the Republic of South Africa
- If required by law, proof of application for a certifcate of registration with the professional body , council or board recognized by the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA) in terms of section 13(1)(i) of the National Qualifications Framework Act; a confirmation, in writing, from the professional body, council or board recognized by SAQA in terms of Section 13(1)(i) of the National Qualifcation Framework Act, or any relevant government Department confirming the skills or qualifications of the applicant and the appropriate post qualification experience, (if not acched, VFS official to check Directirve 22 of 2014)
- Attention New York Applicants: The South African Consulate General in New York will no longer accept prepaid envelope/labels from FedEx and UPS with immediate effect. Applicants are welcome to enclose only USPS self-addressed, pre-paid courier envelope for this office to facilitate return services.