This permit issued to applicants under the age of 25 years and may only conduct work for one year.
Exchange visa may be issued to foreigners who are not older than 25 years of age and wish to participate in cultural, economic or social exchange programs administered by an organ of the State or a public higher educational institution in conjunction with an organ of a foreign state.
Important Information on Applying for South African Visas
Effective 10 May 2015, applicants for visas will be required to apply in person at the South African mission. No appointment necessary.
Checklist of Documents to be Submitted:
- A duly completed application form (DHA-1738) signed by applicant
- Passport valid for no less than 30 days after expiry of intended visit
- Two (2) passport photos
- Medical report on prescribed form (physical)
- Radiological report on prescribed form (chest X-ray)
- FBI certificate (full criminal background check report) and police clearance certificate from all countries applicant lived in since age 18 for one year or longer.
- Flight itinerary
- $36.00 money order for processing
- Proof of U.S. legal status (copy of green card,) if applicant not U.S. citizen
- Statement from the prospective employer certifying that:
- The position exists.
- The organ of state or foreign education and training confirming the
existence of the exchange programme
- The remuneration of the foreigner complies with labour requirements
- The employer will provide for the welfare and needs of the foreigner
whilst in his employ
- Will inform Home Affairs if the foreigner does not comply with the terms
and conditions of his/her permit or leaves RSA
- The applicant will leave when his/her permit expires.
- Attention New York Applicants: The South African Consulate General in New York will no longer accept prepaid envelope/labels from FedEx and UPS with immediate effect. Applicants are welcome to enclose only USPS self-addressed, pre-paid courier envelope for this office to facilitate return services.
- Processing time is 5 business days, it may take up to 10 days during peak season.