General Work Visa
This is a permit issued to all foreigners with general qualifications intending to work in South Africa.
Checklist of Documents to be Submitted:
- Machine readable valid passport with at least two (2) unused (blank) pages labeled Visa when presented at the Embassy or Consulate; one page for affixing the visa or permit by the embassy/consulate and the other page for endorsement of entry/departure stamp by the South African Immigration Services. Passport must be valid for 30 more days after the intended return date from South Africa
- Two (2) passport photos
- Medical report on prescribed form (physical). The certificate must not be older than six (6) months at the time the applicant submits an application.
- Radiological report on prescribed form (chest X-ray) or skin TB test. Radiological report is not required in respect of children under the age of 12 years or a pregnant woman. The certificate must not be older than six (6) months at the time the applicant submits an application.
- A yellow fever vaccination certificate if that person traveled or intends traveling from or transiting through a yellow fever endemic area. Provided that the certficate shall not be required where that person traveled or intends traveling in direct transit through such areas
- A duly completed application form (DHA-1738) signed by applicant
- FBI certificate (full criminal background check report) and original police clearance certificate from all countries applicant lived in since age 18 for one year or longer. The certificate shall not be older than six months at the time of its submission
- Marriage certificate or in the case of a foreign spousal relationship, proof of official recognition thereof issued by the authorities of the foreign country of the applicant (where applicable)
- The affidavit where a spousal relationship to a South African citizen or permanent resident is applicable, as well as documentation proving cohabitation and the extent to which the related financial responsibilities are shared by the parties and setting out the particulars of children in the spousal relationship
- Proof of a union recognized in terms of the Recognition of Customary Marriages Act, 1998 (Act No. 120 of 1998), where applicable
- Divorce decree, where applicable
- Proof of court order granting specific parental responsibilities and rights, where applicable
- Death certificate, in respect of late spouse, where applicable
- Legal separation, where applicable
- A written undertaking by the employer accepting responsibility for the costs related to the deportation of the applicant and his or her dependent family members, should it become necessary.
- A written undertaking by the employer to ensure that the passport of his or her employee is valid at all times for the duration of his or her employment
- A certificate by the Department of Labour confirming that-
a. despite diligent search, the prospective employer has been unable to find a suitable citizen or permanent resident with qualifications or skills and experience equivalent to those of the applicant;
b. the applicant has qualifications or proven skills and experience in line with the job offer;
c. the salary and benefits of the applicant are not inferior to the average salary and benefits of citizens or employees occupying similar positions in the Republic;
d.a contract of employment stipulating the conditions of employment and signed by both the employer and the applicant in line with the labour standards in the Republic and is made conditional upon the general work visa being approved.
- Proof of qualifications evaluated by SAQA and translated by a sworn translator into one of the official languages of the Republic;
- Full particulars of the employer, including, where applicable, proof of registration of the business with the Commission on Intellectual Property and Companies (CIPC).
- An undertaking by the employer to inform the Director-General; should the applicant not comply with the provisions of the Act, or conditions of the visa.
- An undertaking by the employer to inform the Director-General upon the employee no longer being in the employ of such employer or when he or she is employed in a different capacity or role.
- The advertisement contemplated in section 27(a)(i) of the Act shall be an original clipping from the national printed media and shall—
(a) reflect the full particulars of the relevant newspaper or magazine, as well as the dates on which the advertisement was published;
(b) stipulate the minimum qualifications and experience required to fill the position;
(c) clearly define the position offered and the responsibilities to be performed;
(d) measure at least 60 millimetres by 60 millimetres;
(e) state the closing date for the application in the advertisement; and
(f) not be older than four months at the time of application, which period shall be calculated from the closing date for applications.
- Flight itinerary
- Fees payable to the appropriate South African representative office
- Proof of U.S. legal status (green card) if not U.S. citizen
- All prescribed requirements in respect of family if spouse and children wish to accompany applicant.
- Kindly ensure that all copies of original documents are certified accordingly
- Attention New York Applicants: The South African Consulate General in New York will no longer accept prepaid envelope/labels from FedEx and UPS with immediate effect. Applicants are welcome to enclose only USPS self-addressed, pre-paid courier envelope for this office to facilitate return services.
- Processing time is 2 – 3 weeks