This is a permit issued to foreigners intending to visit South Africa for the purpose of undergoing medical treatment
A medical treatment visa may be issued for a maximum period of six (6) months at a time.
Except in the case of medical treatment OR if the applicant is the spouse or dependent child of the holder of a business or work visa, the holder of a port of entry visa, visitor's visa and medical treatment visa may not apply for a change of conditions of an existing visa, unless he or she is in possession of a letter issued on behalf of the Minister of Home Affairs that good cause had been demonstrated for the submission of such an applicaiton.
Checklist: Application filed at Missions
- A duly completed application form DHA-1738 signed by applicant
- Machine readable valid passport with at least two (2) unused (blank) pages labeled Visa when presented at the Embassy or Consulate; one page for affixing the visa or permit by the embassy/consulate and the other page for endorsement of entry/departure stamp by the South African Immigration Services. Passport must be valid for 30 more days after the intended return date from South Africa
- Two (2) passport photos
- Roundtrip flight itinerary
- Letter from the applicant’s medical practitioner or medical institution within the Republic of South Africa confirming-
- that space is available at the medical institution;
- the estimated costs of the treatment;
- whether or not the disease or ailment is treatable or curable;
- the treatment schedule; and
- the period of intended treatment in the Republic.
- The details of, and confirmation by, the person or institution responsible for the medical expenses and hospital fees; (Provided that in a case where the applicant's medical scheme or employer is not liable for expenses incurred, proof of financial means to cover medical costs).
- The particulars of the persons accompanying the applicant
- Proof of sufficient financial means or provision for the costs indirectly related to the treatment (in a form of recent three (3) months bank statement stamped by the bank
- Notarized copy of proof of U.S. legal status (copy of green card) if not U.S. citizen
- Notarized copy of bio page of the passport
- FBI certificate (full criminal background check report) and police clearance certificate from all countries applicant lived in since age 18 for one year or longer.
- Non-refundable fee of $36.00 money order for processing
- Attention New York Applicants: The South African Consulate General in New York will no longer accept prepaid envelope/labels from FedEx and UPS with immediate effect. Applicants are welcome to enclose only USPS self-addressed, pre-paid courier envelope for this office to facilitate return services.
- Processing time is 5 business days, it may take up to 10 days during peak season