This is a permit issued to relatives/spouses of South African citizens or residents intending to move to South Africa with an intention of taking up permanent residence.
As an immediate family member of a South African citizen or permanent resident, you may be issued a relative's permit once the financial means as contemplated in the Immigration Act, 2002 (Act No. 13 of 2002) have been complied with. Relative's permits are valid for a minimum period of 24 months and may be extended. For a spouse and/or dependent child of a South African citizen or permanent resident, the permit is issued free of charge, whilst there is a fee for other relatives wishing to join their family members in South Africa.
Checklist of Documents to be Submitted:
- A duly completed application form DHA-1738 signed by applicant
- Machine readable valid passport with at least two (2) unused (blank) pages labeled Visa when presented at the Embassy or Consulate; one page for affixing the visa or permit by the embassy/consulate and the other page for endorsement of entry/departure stamp by the South African Immigration Services. Passport must be valid for 30 more days after the intended return date from South Africa
- Two (2) passport photos
- Medical report on prescribed form (physical). The certificate must not be older than six (6) months at the time the applicant submits an application.
- Radiological report on prescribed form (chest X-ray) or skin TB test. Radiological report is not required in respect of children under the age of 12 years or a pregnant woman. The certificate must not be older than six (6) months at the time the applicant submits an application.
- Marriage certificate or in the case of a foreign spousal relationship, proof of official recognition thereof issued by the authorities of the foreign country of the applicant, where applicable
- The affidavit where a spousal relationship to a South African citizen or permanent resident is applicable, as well as documentation proving cohabitation and the extent to which the related financial responsibilities are shared by the parties and setting out the particulars of children in the spousal relationship
- Divorce decree, where applicable
- Court order granting full or specific parental responsibilities and rights, where applicable
- Death certificate, in respect of late spouse, where applicable
- Written consent from both parents and full parental responsibilities, where applicable
- Proof of adoption, where applicable
- Legal separation order, where applicable
- Proof of kinship, within the second step, between the applicant and the citizen or permanent resident in the form of
- an unabridged birth certificate; and
- where necessary, paternity test results
- FBI certificate (full criminal background check report) and police clearance certificate from all countries applicant lived in since age 18 for one year or longer.
- Flight itinerary
- Proof of financial means in the form of recent three (3) bank statements stamped by the bank
- Proof of South African citizenship/Permanent residence of relative in the Republic of South Africa in the form of an identity document and passport
- The financial assurance contemplated in section 18(1) of the Act shall be an amount, per person per month, as determined from time to time by the Minister by notice in the Gazette, to be proven by means of a current salary advice or a certified bank statement not older than three months at the time of application. Provided that the financial assurance shall not be required where the South African citizen or permanent resident is a dependent child. Currently, it is R8,500 per person per month.
- No fee is required from spouses/ dependent of a South African citizen
- $16.00 money order for overnight mailing (only applicable in Washington, DC)
- Notarized copy of proof of U.S. legal status (copy of green card) if not U.S. citizen
- Attention New York Applicants: The South African Consulate General in New York will no longer accept prepaid envelope/labels from FedEx and UPS with immediate effect. Applicants are welcome to enclose only US Postal Service self-addressed, pre-paid courier envelope for this office to facilitate return services.
- Processing time is 5 business days, it may take up to 10 days during peak season