Retired Person's Visa
This is a permit issued to retirees intending to live in South Africa only for limited or seasonal periods during the validity of the permit.
A person who wish to retire in South Africa may apply for a retired person's visa, provided that he or she receives at least R37,000 per month from a pension fund or an irrevocable retirement annuity or has a net worth or a combination of assets realizing a minimum monthly income of R37,000.
Checklist of Documents to be Submitted:
- A duly completed application form DHA-1738 signed by applicant
- Machine readable valid passport with at least two (2) unused (blank) pages labeled Visa when presented at the Embassy or Consulate; one page for affixing the visa or permit by the embassy/consulate and the other page for endorsement of entry/departure stamp by the South African Immigration Services. Passport must be valid for 30 more days after the intended return date from South Africa
- Notarized copy of bio page of the passport
- Two (2) passport photos with white or light background
- Medical report on prescribed form (physical). The certificate must not be older than six (6) months at the time the applicant submits an application.
- Radiological report on prescribed form (chest X-ray) or skin TB test. Radiological report is not required in respect of children under the age of 12 years or a pregnant woman. The certificate must not be older than six (6) months at the time the applicant submits an application.
- FBI certificate (full criminal background check report) and police clearance certificate from all countries applicant lived in since age 18 for one year or longer.
- Flight itinerary
- Non-refundable fee of $36.00 in money order for processing
- $16.00 money order for overnight mailing (applicable only in Washington, DC)
- Proof of financial means in the form of a pension with a minimum value of R20,000 per month or an irrevocable retirement annuity or retirement account to the equivalent amount, or a net worth providing an income of at least R20,000 per month
- $1,500.00 money order for repatriation deposit
- Attention New York Applicants: The South African Consulate General in New York will no longer accept prepaid envelope/labels from FedEx and UPS with immediate effect. Applicants are welcome to enclose only USPS self-addressed, pre-paid courier envelope for this office to facilitate return services.
- Processing time 5 business days, it may take up to 10 business days during peak season