This is a kind of a visa issued to a foreigner conducting activities in South Africa in terms of an international agreement to which South Africa is a party.
Documents to be submitted:
- A duly completed application form DHA-1738 signed by applicant
- Machine readable valid passport with at least two (2) unused (blank) pages labeled Visa when presented at the Embassy or Consulate; one page for affixing the visa or permit by the embassy/consulate and the other page for endorsement of entry/departure stamp by the South African Immigration Services. Passport must be valid for 30 more days after the intended return date from South Africa
- Two (2) passport photos
- Notarized copy of bio page of the passport
- Letter from Fulbright (organ of state) attesting to the purpose and duration
- Letter from the institution in South Africa confirming applicant’s assignment.
- Round trip flight itinerary
- Medical report on prescribed form (physical). The certificate must not be older than six (6) months at the time the applicant submits an application.
- Radiological report on prescribed form (chest X-ray) or skin TB test. Radiological report is not required in respect of children under the age of 12 years or a pregnant woman. The certificate must not be older than six (6) months at the time the applicant submits an application.
- FBI certificate (full criminal background check report) and police clearance certificate from all countries applicant lived in since age 18 for one year or longer.
- Non-refundable fee of $36.00 money order for processing
- Notarized copy of proof of U.S. legal status (copy of green card, H1B etc) if not U.S. citizen
- Attention New York Applicants: The South African Consulate General in New York will no longer accept prepaid envelope/labels from FedEx and UPS with immediate effect. Applicants are welcome to enclose only US Postal Service self-addressed, pre-paid courier envelope for this office to facilitate return services.
- Processing time is 5 business days, it may take up to 10 days during peak season.