Transit Visa - 3 Days or less
Transit visas are issued to foreigners who will pass through South Africa enroute to its neighboring countries.Travelers transiting through the following international airports are exempted from/do not have to be in possession of transit visas, but will be subjected to biometric capturing directly at the airport:
- OR Tambo International;
- Cape Town International;
- King Shaka; and
- Lanseria (Johannesburg)
Please note that the above-mentioned exemption does not apply to deportees. Please also note that foreigners who are utilizing land ports of entry to transit through the Republic of South Africa and who are subject to South Africa visa control should apply for and be issued with port of entry visas.
Checklist of Documents to be Submitted:
- Passports/travel document valid for at least 30 more days after departure from South Africa; The passport (including travel/emergency travel documents) must have: at least two (2) unused (blank) pages labeled Visa when presented at the Embassy or Consulate; one page for affixing the visa or permit by the embassy/consulate and the other page for endorsement of entry/departure stamp by the South African Immigration Services.
- A duly completed Visa application form DHA-84 signed by applicant
Note: Under Permanent Residential Address, please state the address in the United States where you reside.
- Two (2) passport photos with white or light background
- Onward flight Itinerary
- Notarized copy of proof of legal status for non-U.S. citizens (copy of greencard, H1B, F1, J1 etc)
- Certified/notarized copy of bio page of the applicant's passport
- Non-refundable US$36.00 processing fee in money order.
- Attention New York Applicants: The South African Consulate General in New York will no longer accept prepaid envelope/labels from FedEx and UPS with immediate effect. Applicants are welcome to enclose only USPS self-addressed, pre-paid courier envelope for this office to facilitate return services.
- Processing time is 5 business days and may take up to 10 days during peak season
- Where to submit your application